Why Experienced Sales Staff May Need More Training than Newbies
When you take on a new hire in your telesales team, the normal response you may have is to get them straight into training. Of course every new starter needs training, but it may not be that they are the ones that need it the most.
The newer telesales members of you team will have a fresher outlook on sales. In today’s world, these people are more likely to have been studying sales and marketing, and are very much up to date with all modern technology. This is why the older members of your team may be the ones who are most in need of telesales training. Here are some reasons why.
- To see what other telesales businesses are doing –When you have a team member who has been with you for over 5 years, they probably don’t know the sales techniques of other businesses. It’s beneficial to learn from our rivals, so being unaware of what other telesales teams are doing in the same city can be dangerous. Telesales training will solve this problem.
- To learn some new telesales techniques –People who have been in the same place for a long time will be using old and outdated techniques to sell. Telesales techniques are constantly changing and evolving, so doing a training course is a great way to update old methods.
- To know the latest laws –An older sales person may not be up to date on the latest laws when it comes to cold calling and data protection. A telesales training session can teach them the latest ways to make new sales, whilst staying compliant with the law.
- To learn about new technology –Sales newbies are more often than not of the younger generation, so will generally be more in tune with the latest technology. Telesales is becoming more and more advanced, and the technology and tools out there are countless. Experienced sales staff may not know about these tools that could make their job easier. So training can be used to introduce them to new ways.
- To stop complacency –When you’ve been in the same job for a while, you may become a bit complacent. Older team members are less likely to get sales training because most of the time they won’t ask for it. Letting your more experience telesales team members know that they are expected to attend training will stop your team becoming complacent.